Il XX secolo: un percorso di memoria dei conflitti
Trieste is not only Habsburg, Central Europe and nostalgia.
In the company of Dino, the historian, you will be taken into the history of the twentieth century, a century of violence and violence. You will be guided to some of the most significant places of the city’s memory, through a story of testimonies and history that will try to restore the complexity and importance of Trieste in the European panorama.
Visiting Trieste, Venezia Giulia, the Adriatic Coast (Adriatisches Küstenland) means taking a step into the complexity, in what is called by historians
“laboratorio della contemporaneità”.
You will experience an experience that will take you out of the usual sightseeing tours to enter a twentieth century, marked by wars, violence, clashes and riots. Trieste, a multi-ethnic city, was a battleground between states, communities and memories. The journey into the memories of Trieste begins at the Risiera di San Sabba: a Lager, the only concentration camp in Italy today to have had a crematorium. We will try to fill in the blanks of what is not there through the use of testimonies by visiting what is not only a museum, but also a national monument.
We will move to Piazza Oberdan, the central link between the city and the “Alte”, the Karst. Place mistreated by the average tourist, but significant to rewind the tape and understand how everything started, from irredentist motions to national ones for an Italian Trieste. The streets of memory and violence will take us from the current School of Interpreters (ex Narodni Dom), burned by the first fascist movements because “CASA DEGLI SLAVI”, up to Piazza Unità/Grande where Mussolini announced the enactment of the racial laws passing through the Teresian village, Red Bridge Square, once a place of unexpected exchange between Yugoslavia and Western countries.
We recommend this experience to a student audience and to all fans of the most critical historical events of the city of Trieste.
- POINTS OF INTEREST:
– Risiera di San Sabba
– Narodni Dom / Interpreting school
– Piazza Ponte Rosso
– Piazza Unità
INCLUDED IN THE TOUR:
- HISTORICAL GUIDE
- Means of transport: public transport or Minivan for 8 people
- Entrance to the Risiera di San Sabba (free of charge)
SERVICES ON REQUEST:
- Taste typical culinary products at reduced prices in the company of the Guide
- Public transport or Minivan for 8 people
WHAT TO BRING:
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Backpack with water bottle
- Camera to capture the architecture along the way
- Notebook for those who want to “splash” during stops
- In case of rain we recommend the use of an umbrella or a raincoat
- NOT RECOMMENDED heavy bags or backpacks
- The group can be composed of up to 10 people.
- Experience Local is available to meet the requests of its Guest on any meeting points chosen differently from the meeting point established by Experience Local. We recommend the guest to inform us at least 48 hours before departure.
- In case of voluntary cancellation by the Guest, will be refunded in full the amount paid ONLY if the notice is made within 48 hours before the departure of the tour.
For a fully customized experience or for
Any other questions do not hesitate to contact us